Key Events in our History
  • September 19, 1841

    • The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Springfield was organized in the home of Rev. Francis Springer, southeast corner of Eighth and Jackson Streets. Rev. Daniel Scherer, pastor of the Lutheran church of Hillsboro, Illinois was present.​

  • January 1, 1842

    • Holy Communion was celebrated for the first time by the Congregation.​

  • March 14, 1854

    • The trustees of the Church were authorized "to purchase a lot from Major Iles for the purpose of erecting a church thereon."​

  • March 22, 1854

    • A building committee was appointed to make arrangements for the building of a House of Worship on Third street, south of Washington Street.​

  • December 16, 1854

    • The German-speaking portion of the congregation offered to buy the church property and their offer was accepted.​

  • December 24, 1854

    • The English-speaking members of the congregation reorganized as the English Evangelical Lutheran Church of the City of Springfield. The German congregation became Trinity Lutheran church of Springfield.​

  • October 23, 1855

    • Abraham Lincoln pledged $20.00 to help finance the construction of the first church building.​

  • February 26, 1856

    • A committee was appointed to take steps toward building a church.​

  • 1859

    • The first church building was completed at the corner of Sixth and
      Madison streets. Previous to this time, services were held in various homes, school buildings, and the Court House.​

  • 1866 

    • The synod of Central Illinois was organized, and the Church of Springfield was a charter member.​

  • 1891

    • The name of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church was adopted by the congregation.​

  • May 1891

    • The ground upon which the present church stands was purchased.​

  • May 15, 1892

    • The cornerstone of the present church was laid.​

  • March 19,1893

    • The present church was dedicated.​

  • 1905

    • A steam heating system was installed in the church.​

  • 1906

    • A parsonage was built on the site of the present parish education
      building.​

  • 1912

    • The church was re-frescoed, an oak floor was laid in the auditorium, and electric lights were installed.​

  • 1914

    • The basement was converted into a modern kitchen and dining room, lighted by electricity and heated by hot water.​

  • October 10, 1926

    • The parish education building was dedicated.​

  • September 13, 1942

    • The new sanctuary was dedicated.​

  • 1957

    • The steeple was reconstructed after tornado damage, and a cross was added to cap the steeple.​

  • September 19, 1971

    • The Moller pipe organ was dedicated.​

  • October 9, 1972

    • The Lincoln Home area was first administered by the National Park Service.​

  • 1974

    • The first woman was elected to the Church council.​

  • 1974

    • The Food Pantry was started and soon became an integral part of the ministry of the church.​

  • 1974

    • The stained glass windows were refurbished and storm windows were
      installed.​

  • 1974

    • A new roof  was installed on the church and parish education​ building.

  • 1981

    • The sanctuary was made accessible when the outdoor ramp was constructed and dedicated.​

  • September 19, 1981

    • The 140th anniversary year was celebrated with a joint commemoration with Trinity Lutheran church in front of the Francis Springer home in the Lincoln Home area.​

  • June 24, 1984

    • The remodeled sanctuary was dedicated. The sanctuary was
      completely redecorated, the communion rail was made accessible,  new carpeting and a parquet floor were installed, a free standing altar was purchased, and the organ and choir loft were relocated.​

  • May 1989

    • The Puppet Ministry was started, thereby enhancing the youth, worship, and educational ministries of the congregation.​

  • 1991

    • The stained glass windows were refurbished and new storm windows were installed.​

  • 1991

    • The 150th anniversary year was celebrated with a year-long series of special worship services and events.​